Saturday, April 6, 2013

DJ Exclusive: Interview with Kookie Hax

The Talented Aussie DJ Kookie Hax

I recently caught Kookie at The Rubb for a set and had a real riot. Kookie's set was full of energy and the style of punk, garage-band sounds that got me fired up. Kookie has great taste in music and shows it in her set. I plan on checking her out more that I know her flavor and hope you will go and experience this too.

Here is what Kookie said:

Are you DJing currently and where? Yes. I DJ every Sunday afternoon at Transmission. Also at Janus Planer's & my club, The Rubb, whenever my awkward Australian hours allow. And I do special events at other times, if asked.

When did you start DJing? 21 November 2008 (my friend Simon kept the event poster!).

First Club? The Looni Bin was the first place I DJ'd. Loonia and Hermon let me loose during an underwater party - possibly to drown out the screams from the audience.

Most unusual thing you saw while DJing? Oh dear...so many unusual sights over the years! Perhaps my friend Jinx, dancing with her partner Feri while wearing huge over-sized boobs that were squirting milk all over the place. They continued their romantic slow dance so calmly, with no real comment from Feri, and the effect was both hilarious and surreal.


Favorite music? I usually range across genres but I guess garage is my favourite. There is something about loud, trashy bands, especially the girl groups, that just makes me very happy. I also love silly pop tunes and quirky americana and bhangra music, and and and and....

Influences? Janus Planer, a tremendous and fearless DJ who introduced me to whole worlds of new music. Reverend ComradeX whose extensive collection of strange and obscure tunes has greatly augmented my library. Milton Nightfire, the best punk DJ in second life (and possibly the world) and real brains behind dick sandwich, our punk-to-go show. Eifachfilm Vacirca who taught me that electro music can indeed be fun! Straight13s and the rest of the 13Cherry folk who showed me how rockabilly/psychobilly parties should really roll. Avery Robbiani who played loud, raw garage sounds in midst of a gentile indie environment.

What do you listen to at home? The fabulous community radio station 3PBS in my home town, Melbourne. From my own collection I probably play a lot more country music at home. I'm never far away from Nick Cave, the Dirty Three and other favourite Australian artists.

Do you have a regular set you play, a "go to" set? Nah. I'd soon get bored that way. Mostly I collect new (to me) music, get all excited about it, and build my set around those tunes. Often I'm too busy (i.e. lazy) to make a formal set so I just pull out a big "bucket" of possibles and then select from them as i go.

When can we hear you DJ usually? Every Sunday from 2pm SLT at Unknown Pleasures : Transmission for 2-3 hours. I can usually be found lurking in the audience at The Rubb on a Sunday evenings from 6pm but don't have a regular time there at present due to RL commitments. I'll probably do something there on a Friday or Saturday over the next month. If interested, please check my profile or join our Totally Wired group for announcements.

Cream and sugar or black? Milk, no sugar, but it has to be a good espresso coffee, in the mediterranean style. Otherwise a weak black Russian Caravan tea.

Cat or Dog? I love both but have just one cat these days. Her name is Chika and she basically rules the house.

If you could take one thing from your inventory for real-life use, what would it be, and why pick it?
My Q-Translator which at the flick of a button (and some care) lets me have a workable conversation with people from all over the world. Of course in RL everyone would have to type....

Best SL Memory? I have so many great memories, and a LOT of them involve occasions of total hilarity (often with silly props or animations) and laughing until I wept with my dear friend Janus Planer. However, I think the standout memory for me is of our second Day of the Dead celebration in November 2010. We had wonderful guest DJs throughout the day and overnight, the atmosphere was marvelous  and it remains a very special memory. But when it comes to memories....a huge thanks to all my lovely friends for so many years of fun.


Thanks for taking time with us today Kookie and make sure to get out and hear the great energetic stylings of Kookie Hax in world!


Photography by Piedmont Cartauld



No comments:

Post a Comment