Tuesday, March 26, 2013

DJ Exclusive: Interview with Barely Texan



The Fashionable DJ Barely Texan
Barely Texan is an extremely busy DJ in second life that chance may bring you to hear, but don't rely on that! I have been to many of Barely's sets in the past including Soundproof (Soon to Rez AGAIN!!), The Attic, Z&A Coffeehouse, Dizzy Lizzy's, and The Velvet. I enjoy Barely's variety and mix he puts out there in his well thought through sets. There is a ton of reasons you should go to his his sets but the main one is the great variety of his musical taste. Verde remembers Barely from back in the early days of SL at The Velvet so this actual Texan has been there and keeps giving it out. I for one am glad! Get out and see/hear exactly what I mean.

Here is what Barely Said:

Are you DJing currently and where? I have regular weekly sets at Dizzy Lizzy's, The Velvet, and the Attic. Plus I guest the first Tuesday of each month at Z&A. 

When did you start DJing? Back the first time I was in SL in 2006 at The Velvet as Barely Schlegal.  

First Club? The Velvet in 2006ish. Pushbutton Skolnick hired me. I was all nervousy, not just because it was new to me, but Push had this aura around her. She scared me to death. But then was really very warm and nice and awesome to me.  

Most unusual thing you saw while DJing? This took me a while, but goes back to the old days at the Velvet. One night I was in a particularly silly mood and Push wasn't there for whatever reason. So I decided to say I was Push and that I was just her alt. And I introduced myself on mic all night as her. Now, the hilarious thing was, several weeks later I heard the "rumor" that Push was really a guy- and I was just her "talking" alt.   
Barely Texan 

Favorite music? Well, the last six or seven years or so, I have slowly left whatever indie has become and gotten more and more into alternative country & Americana. Stuff that is literally the descendants of Willie, Waylon, and the like, for instance. There is an absolutely amazing underground with so much talent and cool that I scour almost every day and have just barely touched the surface. And unlike whatever "indie" has become, there aren't a zillion blogs out there spoon-feeding the multitudes by telling you what is cool and hip. So it's truly almost an individual endeavor. I love it.  

Influences? Jesus. This could never be a full list, but a few would be: Rush, Black Sabbath, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, The Kinks, Gram Parsons, Townes Van Zandt, The Jam, Robyn Hitchcock, Sid Barrett, Neil Young, and on and on. Sorry. I'll shut up now.  

What do you listen to at home? Well, when I'm at my computer I'm listening to new stuff I've bought on disk or downloaded. Or I'll just load the entire Jayhawks discography (for instance) into the queue, hit random and play. If I need a change, I'll figure out someone else and do it again. Hours and hours of that stuff. I also happen to love Radio Paradise on the web. My sets should sound so good. But they never will. When I am in my big-ass pick-up (yes, I really AM Texan), I flip between the Outlaw Country station and the RawDog comedy channel.  

Do you have a regular set you play, a “go to” set? No, not at all. I mean, even if I play completely without a playlist, no two sets are ever very similar. I get bored. So maybe I figure my listeners get bored, too. So I try to keep myself interested, and then my brain tells me it's interesting to the listeners, too. I'm probably wrong.
When can we hear you DJ usually? Mon 6-8 Dizzy Lizzy's  Tues 5-7 The Velvet Friday 8-10 The Attic First Tues of the month: 7-9 Z&A Coffeehouse 

Cream and sugar or black? No thanks. I drink those damned lo-carb Monsters. Kill me. 

Cat or Dog? Cat. His name is P.K. for Penalty Kick, like in soccer (football in the rest of the civilized world). I call him Peekers. He's made of adorable.  

If you could take one thing from your inventory for real-life use, what would it be, and why pick it? My radar. No one could sneak up on me and I could set boobytraps. Body parts everywhere! Yeah, I know. I'm creepy.  

Barely is a hard working DJ so I am sure you will find time to catch him at his many gigs he has out there in world. 

Photo Provided by Barely Texan  Check out his flickr page

No comments:

Post a Comment