Monday, March 11, 2013

DJ Exclusive: Interview with Kanjena

Kanjena at Velvet.

I have gone to the Velvet and AAI  and caught Kanjena several times and always end up staying as long as possible! Kanjena is a DJ at Velvet, AAI and Whiskey SMASH and without further adieu.....

Are you DJing currently and where? I'm regularly DJing at the Velvet at 3pm on saturdays and 1-3 slt at AAI on Fridays. I also do an event at a club called Whiskey SMASH for a group of music loving naturists. 

When did you start DJing? I started in RL in my late teens around 95/96 but in SL I didn't start DJing till november 2011.  

First Club? the Tokoloshe. 

Most unusual thing you saw while DJing? Dancing naked on a dual dance pole with Brum ( A car avatar) was fairly unusual, especially while DJing. 

Favorite music? I love so much music, I was raised on Riot Grrl and Grunge and Dischord bands like Fugazi, I am a huge fan of Billy Childish and Ian Svenonius. Recently I have been enjoying lots of old psychedelia and progressive rock. Influences? I would say PJ Harvey, Ian Svenonius, Billy Childish, Ian McKaye and Laura Nyro.

What do you listen to at home? I collect vinyl and love to play old soul records around the house. 

Do you have a regular set you play, a “go to” set? No, I am very much influenced by what I listen to or read and then my sets will be based around that. 

When can we hear you DJ usually? At the Velvet 3slt saturdays, AAI 1 to 3slt  and the whiskey SMASH 3slt tuesdays. 

Cream and sugar or black? Milk, no sugar. 

Cat or Dog? I am a cat. 

If you could take one thing from your inventory for real-life use, what would it be, and why pick it? I'd take my skin for days when I have acne!

Thanks for the candor Kanjena and we will see you and hear you soon at the Velvet and AAI!
Look for more DJ Exclusives coming soon to Eye on the grind.

Photo by Kanjena

No comments:

Post a Comment