Saturday, March 9, 2013

DJ Exclusive: Interview with Brodie Oleander


The Talented DJ and Sexy Southern Girl...Brodie Oleander

Verde and I love to go hear Brodie spin her set and have been doing so for quite some time now! Brodie always takes time to prepare a well thought through set for whatever venue we go see her. Brodie spins Jazz and Blues at The Mercury Room and Owl's Hollywood Hootery and spins her other styles at the Hanky Panky Room and theVelvet. So get dressed up in your Tuxedo on Saturday nights and come hear the great classic Jazz set at The Mercury Room or stop by the Hanky Panky Room or theVelvet and hear exactly what I am talking about.


Are you DJing currently and where? I am currently DJing. I DJ Wednesday Night from 9-11 at the Hanky Panky Room, Thursday Nights from 7-9 at the Velvet and I am a Saturday DJ manager at the Mercury Room.

When did you start DJing?  I started DJing when I was about 60 days old at a Club called Urban Legends.  So, a little over 2 years ago, I made my debut.

First Club? Urban Legends, a mainstream club/ strip club.

Favorite music?  I have a very hard time pinning down a favorite genre.  I am a punk at heart some days and my favorite bands are sometimes Punk, but I have a deep appreciation for Jazz that I have recently cultivated.  I am a Southerner and nothing makes me hum like Otis Redding or Sam Cooke.  My favorite song has been "I Love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett since I was 4 and "Let's get it On", by Marvin Gaye since I was 16.  I also love Spinnerette and the Distillers, Flogging Molly, Heartless Bastards and Nina Simone. 

Influences?  Mother Teresa, Brody Dalle, Joan Jett, Otis Redding, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Sam Cooke, Edith Piaf, Janis Joplin and Debbie Harry.

What do you listen to at home?  I have a playlist for every room of the house.  I have about 20 shower playlists that are usually sets of music I have played here in SL with few additions of the Jackson 5, the Staple Sisters and maybe more Otis Redding than normal.  My hair is cleaner when I listen to the Jackson 5.

Do you have a regular set you play, a “go to” set?  The Hanky Panky is a set I plan for the most every week.  I consider the Hanky my home and I try to play something fresh or significantly meaningful at this venue

When can we hear you DJ usually?  Wednesday Nights at 9-11 at the Hanky Panky Room.  Thursday 7-9 at the Velvet and Saturdays at the Majestic Mercury Room.

Cream and sugar or black?  Creamer (Bailey's dairy creamer) and lots of sugar.

Cat or Dog?  I love my cat A LOT, but I also love my dog.  I would say its a close race, but my cat speaks perfect Brodie.

If you could take one thing from your inventory for real-life use, what would it be, and why pick it?  Oh, for sure one of my Tuxedos. and a dance ball!


Thank you Brodie for sharing your insights and music! See and hear you soon!

Photo by Dammi Quan

No comments:

Post a Comment