Thursday, March 7, 2013

DJ Exclusive: Interview with Mallory Cerise


Mallory Cerise. Music Purveyor, Artist, Blogger.
Looking as usual very fashion sensitive. 
Verde and I have been to many of Mal's sets and appreciate
the effort and textures she uses in her mixes. Verde also
discovers new fashions by checking out her look!
Here is what Mallory said:

Are you DJing currently and where?

I am currently DJing at the Velvet and Z&A Coffeehouse, yes.

When did you start DJing?

About 1.5 years ago.

First Club?

The Velvet, the club I currently co-manage with Kanjena and Maht.

Most unusual thing you saw while DJing?

Unusual, in SL? Um. I am not sure. I'd say the most unusual experience for me while DJing was when my friend Kavisha decided to have a particle light show for the theme the lovely Kanjena and I were doing. It was all very spur of the moment, I remember feeling low that day, but the things that happened that night, musically and visually, set my mind into an utterly strange, trance-like, wonderful state. My theme was a tarot tribute and Kanjena's was a magickal one, with the amazing top quality light show from Kavisha, the exquisite flowers blossoming and fading in the air, it was all just otherworldly. The ephemeral, digital, presumably uncool sublime... that's what it was.

Favorite music?

I go between new wave, post-punk, darkwave, synthpop, slowcore, shoegaze, and dreampop, but lately I've been going, steadily and surely, in the direction of witch-house and other kinds of experimental electronic music.

Influences?

David Lynch's work, psychic limits, giallo films, love, trauma theory, high-end fashion, psychoanalysis, art-house cinema, poetry, solidarity, ethics, feminism, Greek tragedy, gothic subculture, pleasure, aesthetic theory, Marxism... I could list more figures ("name-drop" would be the technical term) till the deadly boredom sets in, but suffice it to say that there are multiple strong intellectual and artistic presences in my life. I take a great enjoyment in being fascinated. Who I am informs what I play.

What do you listen to at home?

Dark slowcore stuff. So very, very dark. But no, it all depends on my state of mind. I love the sounds that haunt.

Do you have a regular set you play, a “go to” set?

No, I really don't. I am highly mood-driven, I don't think any specific set would represent my musical sensibilities fully, it's all part of a greater whole.
Mallory Cerise

When can we hear you DJ usually?

5-7SLT at The Velvet and 7-9SLT at Z&A Coffeehouse. And I guest here and there. My DJ group is called Haunted by Music, it's for a lot of things I see as worth sharing. I love meeting new interesting peeps, that's da best!

Cream and sugar or black?

Fine black coffee, no sugar, like Dale liked it, in Twin Peaks.

Cat or Dog?

I love both and I refuse to choose.

If you could take one thing from your inventory for real-life use, what would it be, and why pick it?

My magical typer, of course. I'd love the air around me to be filled with subtly shimmering occult symbols when I talk IRL. Because what I say is often already so heavily symbolic and it's not something I do intentionally, not really, that's just how my mind works.


Thank you for sharing your insights with everyone Mallory! See you in world!
Look for more DJ interviews coming up @ Eye on the Grind
Photo by Verde Otaared.

No comments:

Post a Comment