Thursday, April 11, 2013

DJ Exclusive: Doc Hoovie




DJ Doc Hoovie

I got to catch this Doc at The Dirty Glass this week and what a great inspiring set I heard. I love any kind of Punk/Surf Punk and Rockabilly and got a good dose of that and more with Doc's set. Doc keeps his sets lively with a style that I truly appreciate and when you read the influences in the interview you will see what I mean.

Here is what Doc said:

Are you DJing currently and where? Currently I DJ at The Lifestone and The Dirty Glass, when RL permits me to. I work swing shift, so it isn't always easy, but I try to spin at least once a week. 

When did you start DJing? In SL, December 2011. I did a stint spinning for an internet radio station before coming to SL as well.  

First Club? The Lifestone. I was hanging around there a week or two after discovering it, when I met it's co-owner Chedira one night. I told her "I'm going to DJ for you here someday." I came back later and she was spinning, and I said "Man, they'll let anyone spin here...", bustin' her balls, ya know? And she said "If you think you can do better, do it!" So I fired SAM up and took the stream, and haven't looked back. 

Most unusual thing you saw while DJing? Well, The Lifestone is set up on an Adult SIM, and has some BDSM related items there. And all the furniture's "Loaded" if ya know what I mean. Lots of...options there. So...I've seen alot.  :-) 

Favorite music? Rockabilly. Psychobilly. Hotrod Surf. Old Country. Outlaw Country. Some Punk. Grunge (though I hate that label). And Far East Movement (don't ask).

Influences? Memphis Tennessee, 1950. The birth of The Sound. Sam Phillips. Sun Records. Jackie Brenston. BB. Howlin Wolf. Little Junior. Carl, Johnny, Jerry Lee. Wanda. Roy. Gene. Buddy. Chuck. The King, before we knew he was one. Link.  Hasil. Ol' Hank. Lefty. Ernest Tubb. Johnny Horton. Buck. Marty. Glenn. Waylon and Jessie. Kris. Willie and Merle. DAC. Tom T. Strummer. Johnny and Sid. Joey. Rollins. Social D. Dead Kennedys. Rev Horton. Ken Chase. Rev Peyton. Hank III. Sparky. Hellcat and Hooch. And a million unsigned and unheard unknowns.  

What do you listen to at home? Outlaw Country. Jack Benny. Art Bell. Edward R Murrow. Podcasts of my sets. And Lewis Black. 

Do you have a regular set you play, a “go to” set? I have my favorites, for sure. But I try to keep fresh stuff in the lineup. I craft my playlists--I'm pretty anal about them. They need a certain flow. I take requests, and have no problem with that, but there's always a well thought out playlist at work. My music tells my life story, and it for those who know how to listen, they can glean a lot about me and what's on my mind.

When can we hear you DJ usually? Weekends at The Lifestone some time after 8pm SLT, and 4pm SLT at The Dirty Glass. As RL permits. 

Cream and sugar or black? Iced. With a little half-and half and a shot of Jameson, and a little cinnamon and sugar.  

Cat or Dog? Dog guy here. Always have been. My boy's a Black Lab / Pitbull mix. 15 years old.   

If you could take one thing from your inventory for real-life use, what would it be, and why pick it? Without a doubt, my mohawk. Why? Because male pattern baldness sucks! 

Best SL Memory? Any time I come off a 4 or 5 hour set, take the dog out for a quick piss, 5, 6 in the morning before laying down for bed. Birds chirping. Sky pink on the horizon. Thinking "I've got the best friends in the world..."  


Great Interview Doc and glad to hear from you! I will be checking Doc out in world and suggest anyone that wants to see and hear what he is talking about through his music step right up!



Photos by Pie Cartauld

No comments:

Post a Comment