Friday, April 12, 2013

DJ Exclusive: Interview with Iain Lordhunter



DJ Iain Lordhunter doing a pick up set at the Bannister & Shamrock
I met Iain Lordhunter at the AAi last year while he was DJing and remember having a great time and hear a wide variety of mixed tunes. Not the typical Indie DJ Iian will salute to the classics once in a while and funk things up. I appreciate the style and the type of DJ that will do this and not play what they believe people think should be cool. Here is what Iain said....


Are you DJing currently and where?  For the last year I've been DJing at AAI on Mondays 1-3PM SLT, as well as at The Bannister & Shamrock whenever the mood takes me. 

When did you start DJing?  I've been DJing in SL for about 2 and a half years now in total 

First Club?  The first place I DJ'd was at Popscene, and then The Hacienda, Blackheart's, The Northside, AAI, then The Bannister & Shamrock.  I've also DJ'd at strip clubs, hen nights and in a circus tent. 
 
Iain in pose
Most unusual thing you saw while DJing?  Well the hen night was strictly a female only affair, so I had to turn up in drag.  I went as Amy Winehouse.  Another time I saw a man naked apart from a helicopter hat and a huge syringe jutting out of....but to be honest, I'd rather forget that. 

Favorite music?  I play mostly indie music at my Monday night set, but I love tunes from all different genres - punk, funk, dance music, hip-hip.  I've got a soft spot for Afrobeat and I went through a big Balkan phase a few years back. I'm always on the look-out for something new, or a bit weird and wonderful.  There are only 2 kinds of music at the end of the day:  good and bad.   

Influences?  People who have, in one way or another, shaped the way I love music include James Brown, Tony Wilson, Andy Votel, Bill Drummond, Mark E Smith, Sean Rowley, Geoff Travis, Annie Nightingale, James Murphy and especially the late, great John Peel. 

What do you listen to at home?  I have music playing pretty much all the time unless I'm asleep.  It can be anything from Underworld to Lord Kitchener to The Fall.  At the moment, I've become rather obsessed with John Grant's new album. 

Do you have a regular set you play, a “go to” set? No, although I do have an 'alternative Christmas' set that I'd love to pipe through the speakers of every shopping arcade in England during the festive season, to free us from Wings etc.  However, I fear it would only accelerate the death of the Great British high street.

When can we hear you DJ usually?  Monday 1-3PM at AAI.  Or pop by the Bannister & Shamrock any time.  I also have a DJ group to let people know when I'm spinning, but am far too reserved to ever mention it when I'm actually doing so.  Feel free to join anyhow and maybe we can keep the membership into double figures! 

Cream and sugar or black?  Tea: strong, splash of milk, no sugar.  Thanks. 
Cat or Dog? Dogs. 'Cus in the end it's better to be loyal than to be cool.  I'm just very, very fortunate to be both....XD 

If you could take one thing from your inventory for real-life use, what would it be, and why pick it?  I have a few combat HUDs that could certainly get a bit of use in real life.  A full body alpha would be fun too....especially as I wouldn't have my name hovering above my head to give the game away in the changi...err...wherever I might be.  


Thanks for the interview Iain. Come out and hear Iain at the Bannister or at AAi sometime and get a good mix of tuneage!


Photography by Pie Cartauld

No comments:

Post a Comment