Friday, March 1, 2013

DJ Exclusive: Interview with Maht Wuyts

The extremely talented Second Life DJ Maht Wuyts and friend (perched)
Maht is a DJ at The VELVET that Verde and I have often caught and enjoyed. I love his specialty sets and love that he is a Robyn Hitchcock fan. Here is the interview.


Are you DJing currently and where?   
I am DJing even as I type this. Playing my Wednesday night set at Velvet, which this week is music from 1956-57.
When did you start DJing?  I think January of 2008 or so.   
First Club?  I started playing parties at my old photo studio, but the first place I can recall where I spun and was a dj rather than someone's friend was a mainstream place called The Garage. I was not terribly popular there, as I do not take requests or play mainstream music. They seemed as puzzled by me as I was by them.   
Most unusual thing you saw while DJing?  I think at this point I have seen most everything a time or two while spinning. I'm really not at all sure how to answer that question. I guess in SL, the unusual is things like seeing two people resolve a dispute amicably? When one of your regular patrons is a Volkswagon who has never spoken, "unusual" becomes a lot more relative.  
Favorite music?  For me, the door in my brain was kicked open by the Beatles, and things branch out from there. I like indie a lot (whatever that means) but have a genuine love for music from all decades of the Rock Era, honestly.   
Influences?  As a musician, I am influenced by Beatles, Elvis Costello, Xtc, earlier Wilco and a bunch more. For sets, the same, plus whatever earworm has caught me that week. I've always been a voracious listener. Unless your question is offering me some influences, in which case: yes, please.   What do you listen to at home?  Wow. Everything?   
Do you have a regular set you play, a “go to” set?  Nope. I have favorites, of course, songs that I find myself worming in more often than others, but I like to see where the set will go when I can. For my four hours sets on Sundays, I rarely have more than one or two songs I want to play planned out in advance.   
When can we hear you DJ usually?  I spin Wednesdays from 7-9pm and Sundays from 3-7 at Velvet. I'll be celebrating five years at Velvet on March 10, by the way.   
Cream and sugar or black?  Lots of cream, some sugar. (sighs) I'll just do it myself.   
Cat or Dog?  For a pet: cat. For a food source: neither. For a music style: cat. For a themed set: both.   
If you could take one thing from your inventory for real-life use, what would it be, and why pick it?  Maybe my top hat which is also a personal helicopter. I don't feel any additional explanation is required.  



Photo robbed from profile and bastardized

Look for more of our favorite DJs and their expressions in upcoming DJ exclusives.

No comments:

Post a Comment